18/02/2020 0 Comments
Five Essential Elements of a Quality Asphalt Driveway
Asphalt paving is safe to drive on, cost-effective, energy-efficient and environmentally friendly. It can last for more than 20 years if installed properly. So, it is important to choose contractors who have the knowledge and skills to successfully carry out paving or driveway repair jobs. Our professionals at Custom Blacktop Co. have been providing asphalt paving services throughout Burnaby since 1972. We provide all paving services from excavation and grading to the paving itself. For quality and durable product
Here are five factors that determine the reliability and longevity of an asphalt driveway:
1. A Solid Foundation – It is essential for the subgrade to be stabilized and compacted properly. For instance, if you have to construct the pavement on soft wet clay, consider installing a stone base. Your asphalt driveway may buckle, crack or crumble if the base is not prepared properly.
2. A Perfect Slope for Good Drainage –Proper drainage is important for water to drain from the pavement surface and not accumulate on top of it. If the surface has a proper slope, water will run off the sides and away from the driveway. In winters, water might seep into the pores or open crevices of your asphalt pavement. This water could freeze and expand over time, damaging your pavement. This results in the formation of potholes, cracks and crumbling of the pavement.
3. Weather – Whether you are constructing or overlaying a pavement, roll and compact the asphalt mixture quickly before it becomes too cold. Cold asphalt makes it difficult to achieve the necessary compaction.
If the temperature of the asphalt mix, ground and air is not according to specifications, you will not achieve satisfactory results. For best results, the temperature of the hot-mix asphalt should be between 220 and 290 degrees Fahrenheit. The air temperature should be at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Similarly, the temperature of the ground should be at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Precautionary Measures –
- Following a step-by-step process is important while paving asphalt and carrying out driveway repairs.
- Sub-base should have a proper thickness, stability and compaction.
- Binder should consist of adequate amounts of bitumen and larger aggregates.
- Butt joints should be installed at places where the asphalt surface connects to existing driveways and parking lots.
5. Regular Maintenance – It is essential to carry out regular maintenance of your pavement. Sweep the debris every day, power wash regularly, add a seal coat and carry out a crack repair.
Custom Blacktop takes on projects of all sizes. Take a moment to view our paving projects in British Columbia. To learn about using recycled plastic as an asphalt mix, read our blog - From Blue Box to Pavement: Using Recycled Plastic as Asphalt Mix.
Contact us for asphalt paving and driveway repair services.